Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Painting Neon Signs



12 x 12 oil on wood panel - SOLD

I had to go in search of tutorials on YouTube to help me figure out how to paint a neon sign.  The trick is painting the letters in a solid background color and using white on top.  I'm sure I'll give it a go another time. 

  A coat of Kamar retouch varnish makes colors pop.  Varnish is a dilemma for me.  Can't wait 6 months for final varnish, and the brush on Gamvar varnish which claims it can be used after 3 weeks of drying time doesn't leave as nice a finish as their MSA spray OR the Kamar retouch varnish. 

What do you use on your work before you show or send off to a buyer?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your work! Especially your sense of color and balance. How long did this painting take you? For only 12" square you sure have a lot of movement going on. I love everything about this painting---the way the guy in the foreground's face is shadowed and the guy in the back seems to be listening and how the woman to the right appears to be amused by something recently said. I could live with this painting in the house. I can admire a lot of paintings but not want them to see them every day...this one I could easily study daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't you nice! This took about 6 hours, but a lot of that time is spent standing back and looking to see what's needed. Figures aren't my forte, so there was a struggle with those as well as the neon sign. The guy looking out to the right (a long haired man with a grey 5 o'clock shadow, but everyone whose looked at this thought it was a woman) started out looking extremely sullen and I couldn't handle that so he got the most tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now I can see the 5 o'clock shadow. I think it's the white "bracelet" effect that I now see is a shine on the glass that gives the woman impression and her/his long blue garment. I love your figures, I wish I could do that well. I'm still impressed that you can get so much movement in just twelve inches.

      Delete
  3. I love the sign and saw it first. Great lead off for the eye tracking the painting.
    I use Krylon products and swear by them. The key is to really shake them well and clear the spray by turning upside down and cleaning it off.
    I first spray the Kamar "regular: varnish and follow off with a coating of their UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic coating. A conservator at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts recommended it. For a wax coating I use Renaissance Wax.

    ReplyDelete